ICON OF COIL
When did you guys
started with productions of music?
- IOC started in 1998, but both Sebastian and I, have been producing music at
least since 1990.
Who is IOC?
Who is responsible for music, samples, lyrics?
- For a wile, I've been in charge of most of the music, samples and lyrics,
but now it becomes more and more equal. I'm still writing all the lyrics.
Have you been
involved in some other bands before IOC?
- Oh god.. yes.. hehe I've been in a lots of bands, everything from techno to
slayer-kind-of-metal. (see homepage for more info, under press-area)
How much influence
had Stephan (Apoptygma Berzerk) on your music?
- Hmm.. not much really..hehe I mean, he's a really good friend, we have a good
time at the clubs together, get drunk together... and that's about it.
What about other
- EVERYTHING! From 80's pop to 90's metal. From sunny days to rainstorms.. Movies,
books, persons.. everything.
What kind of
music and authors do you like at this moment?
- I listen to a great deal of pshycadelic trance music..more like Cydonia and
Juno Reactor when I'm at home. I prefer more punch when I'm at the clubs though...
Feindflug, Das Ich, Flesh Field, but also more synth-pop, like And One and New
Your first release
Shallow Nation was a success. Did you expect it?
- No, not at all. It came as a big suprise. I thought the song was ok, but I
think it could have been better produced. We do what we think is fun and it's
very nice that people response that positively to it.
How did you come
up with contract to Tatra?
- Well, that's a tricky question. I think it was our manager that hooked us
up with Tatra. We knew that they had done a really good job for APB, so we thought
that this was our best option.
IOC has very
good success in Germany on DAC charts. What can you say about it.
- It's great!!! What can I say? We're still on the list, we've been there for
7 weeks... I wouldn't dear to even dream of it ,when we released "One Nation
Under Beat". I still don't understand it.
or tour in preparation?
- The European tour has been scheduled to start in November I believe, then
we're gonna tour US and Canada in February.
Your album Serenity
is finished. What can you tell about the sound of the album. Is it more like
One nation under beat or?
- It's hard to say, it's more intact than before. It's a little heavier, even
though it's Icon Of Coil like people knows it.
Has Stephan (APB)
been involved in any songs on the Serenity?
- No, he's never been involved in any of our song, I don't know where people
get that from, maybe because we have been involved with the making of his album.
Who are the bands
that you would love to work with or have concerts with?
- I would love to tour and work with so many bands, like; Eat Static, Leftfield,
Juno Reactor and would love to produce a new Nitzerebb song... that would have
How do you see
electro scene in Norway? Any new talents, bands that you can mention?
- It's growing, but it is still not big. New major talents from Norway must
be EnRoute and Echo Image.... they are awesome.
What do you do
when you are not creating music?
- Mostly sleeping, I eat when I'm in the studio hehe..
What's next for
-Time will show, we're currently working with a new single and some remixes.
We'll tour as much as we can in Europe and US.
ICON OF COIL - Official Website
in September 2000. by Danijel Levatic for Elektronski Zvuk.
2000. Elektronski Zvuk